Re: Behavior for the file browser window

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Behavior for the file browser window
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 05:56:39 -0400

On 04/07/2013 04:57 AM, Torsten wrote:
On 07.04.2013 06:59, John W. Eaton wrote:>  Follow-up Comment #6, patch
#8000 (project octave):
I'm not sure what the behavior should be for the file browser window.

Your change makes it so that moving around in the file browser also changes
the current working directory for Octave.  Is that the behavior we want?  I
think of file browsing as independent of what the curent working directory is.
  It seems to me we should only change the current working directory if some
explicit action is taken in the file browser.

Maybe we should discuss this on the maintainers list before making more
changes.

Currently, the file browser widget do change the octave directory when
browsing through the directories. AFAIK this is the behavior of the ML
current folder browser, too.

What I see is that you can search for files in the file browser
without changing Octave's current working directory.  Only when you
select a new diretory by double-clicking in the file browser list box
do you change Octave's current working directory.  Perhaps that is too
confusing without having another clue that this behavior is
intentional.  For example, a button to change to the selected
directory.

If navigating in the file browser is supposed to change Octave's
current working directory every time a new directory is opened for
browsing, then I don't see the point of having both the file browser
and the text entry box for the current directory.  Why not just have
the file browser?