Re: Behavior for the file browser window

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Behavior for the file browser window
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:10:59 -0500

On 04/12/2013 06:53 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 04/12/2013 07:13 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Depends on how Octave is launched. If the program is launched from a
shell window, it seems more likely the user wants to start in the base
directory or the directory in which they last worked. If the program is
launched from an Applications icon, probably the user wants to return to
location where they left off. Maybe an option --cwd would be helpful.

This issue is not about the initial working directory when Octave
starts. That is still the directory where I started Octave. The issue
the I'm asking about is why the initial directory for the file browser
is different from that directory.

Oh. I thought recently I notice that launching Octave has the same problems. Let me check...

Yeah, there is something odd; not quite sure. Before launching Octave from a shell terminal in the directory "~/octave", I know there is a file open in the editor from the directory I created called "~/octave/breakpoint". Although Octave GUI is showing the "Current Directory:" as where the program was launched, I'm able to set a breakpoint in the file that is in "~/octave/breakpoint" (and not in the path) and break on it. However, after leaving the debugger and trying a second time, I see:

octave:2> testfun(9)
error: 'testfun' undefined near line 1 column 1

This might be related to debugging.  I'll write more about that later.

Dan