Re: Minimal Qt version for the default branch

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Minimal Qt version for the default branch
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 11:00:42 -0800

On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 12:03:46 +0100, Torsten wrote:
> During preparation of the 5.1 release, some discussions came up whether
> to drop Qt4 support afterwards. Actually, some planned bug fixes (e.g.,
> bug #55855, based on bug #55822) would require Qt5.
>
> Do we agree on dropping Qt4 support and requiring Qt5 (e.g., 5.4) for
> building octave on the default branch?

I would like to drop support for Qt 4 on the default branch.

I would also be fine with requiring Qt 5.6 or newer. Qt 5.6 is the
oldest LTS still supported by Qt (end-of-life is March 2019 actually),
it was released in March 2016. But some Ubuntu users may want us to keep
supporting Qt 5.5 if possible.

IMHO, as far as implementation, I think we should *not* have configure
do a hard version check, but we could have a feature test that requires
the newest feature that we actually use (like QStandardPaths), and
delete all older feature tests and conditionals.

--
mike