Re: Minimal Qt version for the default branch

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Minimal Qt version for the default branch
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 13:02:26 -0400

On 3/12/19 12:51 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

What does the output for the list of tests above look like for Qt 5.5?

I'll try to find that out, maybe for a handful of different Qt 5
versions for comparison.

OK.  BTW, for 5.12, the only ones that fail for me are:

checking QGLWidget usability... no
checking QGLWidget presence... no
checking for QGLWidget... no
checking QGLFunctions_1_1 usability... no
checking QGLFunctions_1_1 presence... no
checking for QGLFunctions_1_1... no

but I think that's because these tests are done without the Qt5OpenGL module. So that's another error in the current configure tests that we could eliminate more easily if we could simplify things.

Yeah, the existence of one enum in QStandardPaths is something we can
easily work around.

As you saw in bug #55883, the logic around QtOpenGL vs QOpenGLWidget is
getting very confusing.

Yes, definitely. And the more confusing, the more time wasted and the more fragile these checks tend to become. After this experience, I'm leaning much more toward dropping support for Qt4.

This only affects libgui/graphics, but how about
making QOpenGLWidget and QOffscreenSurface hard requirements and
dropping support for deprecated QtOpenGL as a first simplification?

Are you saying still support Qt4 for the main GUI but if QOpenGLWidget and QOffscreenSurface are not available, then disable the Qt plotting widget?