Re: Minimal Qt version for the default branch

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Minimal Qt version for the default branch
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 13:52:37 -0400

On 3/12/19 1:14 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 13:02:26 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
Are you saying still support Qt4 for the main GUI but if QOpenGLWidget and
QOffscreenSurface are not available, then disable the Qt plotting widget?

That was just one example of a big simplification that has a very
practical benefit. I was saying we could do that. But dropping Qt 4
conditional logic from configure is yet another big practical benefit. I
think we should do both.

Yeah, I would rather drop the version 4/5 logic rather than just go halfway and try to eliminate the QtOpenGL module while still supporting Qt4 for the main GUI. Trying to accommodate both versions adds a lot to the complexity, especially on systems that might have both (maybe partially) installed.