Re: OF packages: check OF repositories

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: OF packages: check OF repositories
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 12:14:44 +0900

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 7:25 AM Doug Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 4:54 PM Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 03:29:44PM -0400, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> Can we make a plan to regularly back up the whole OF tree on another site
> to protect against this kind of eventuality?

As for being able to restore, all repositories fit well onto a usual
local disk. And there is (or was) already a script to automatize the
backup of all repositories (a Makefile made by Carnë) in an extra
repository named 'octave-forge'. It only needs someone who regularly
thinks of it or scripts it as a cron job.

Olaf
OK I just ran Carne's make file, and have a copy of what is there now.
I will try and keep it up to date.
Someone else should also do it. then we might be safe. :-)

--
DAS

Just for the files, Carnës Makefile is available from https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/octave-forge/ci/default/tree/ or via

   hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/octave-forge octave-octave-forge

After cloning and running `make update` and about 220 MB with backups of 121 hg and git repositories from SF are downloaded in that very same directory.

As this backup is not that big, maybe we can run it daily via cron on JWEs digitalocean server, where other backups are located as well:

   https://wiki.octave.org/Project_Infrastructure#Hosted_on_jwe.27s_digitalocean.com_account

Ideally, there was public web access to those backups like with the other https://hg.octave.org repositories.
This backup can be also done on other server I have access to (JWEs dreamhost server):

   https://wiki.octave.org/Project_Infrastructure#Hosted_on_jwe.27s_dreamhost.com_account

But I am afraid that the backup repositories are not public visible there.

Best,
Kai