[GSoC 2020] Community bonding

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: [GSoC 2020] Community bonding
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 15:17:47 +0900

Abdallah,

Thank you for establishing your blog [1].  I think to have managed to
syndicate it with Planet Octave.  Your first blog post will reveal if
things are working as expected ;-)  The current first three demo posts
do not appear in your RSS/Atom feeds.

For the mailing list communication, I suggest we prepend "[GSoC 2020] "
for organizational topics in every subject line.  This makes it easier
for maintainers to ignore those messages.  For technical questions of
general interest, feel free to drop this prefix.

On 5/7/20 7:45 AM, Abdallah Elshamy wrote:

> [...]
>
>> But for now, you should focus on realizing and describing your
>> JSON project.
>>
>> This especially means, that you get familiar with the codebase of
>> Octave.  Where to find functions, how to add libraries, how to
>> compile it, how to test for regressions that come up with changes
>> you did?
>
> I will start by searching about how to add libraries and how to compile
> it since my project requires it. I will do some searching in the
> documentation and If I got stuck in something, I will ask here and/or
> the IRC channel.
>
> [...]

A further first task for you is to setup a public clone/fork of the
Octave Mercurial (hg) repository for your GSoC work.  You should keep
your clone in sync with the Octave main repository.  This is perfect
Mercurial training.  Messing up things there does not disturb the
regular Octave development.

Because of Mercurial support, recent GSoC students were suggested to use
Bitbucket.  Unfortunately, this is not longer an option [2].
Sourceforge [3] or Savannah still offer this support, but are rather
slow/outdated/inconvenient in my personal perception.

Another way to go was to use the git-mirrors of Mike [4,5], which enable
other options for popular git hosting solutions.  If you want to go this
way, I can ask Mike how we can help him maintaining his work.

Kai

[1] https://abdallahshamy.wordpress.com
[2] https://bitbucket.org/blog/sunsetting-mercurial-support-in-bitbucket
[3] https://sourceforge.net/