Re: JSON Test suite status

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: JSON Test suite status
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 01:43:04 -0400

On 6/23/20 1:25 AM, Andreas Weber wrote:
> Am 22.06.20 um 19:47 schrieb Abdallah Elshamy:
>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 2:24 PM Andreas Weber <octave@josoansi.de
>> <mailto:octave@josoansi.de>> wrote:
>>     I had a look at jsonencodetest.m and wonder I you are really trying to
>>     create the exact same JSON output (byte identical for example same
>>     whitespace and so on) as the other software does or "identical parsed
>>     JSON" where whitespace doesn't matter.
>>
>> Thanks for providing feedback. This script is intended to run on MATLAB
>> to test compatibility so producing the same output in it is a core goal
>> of it.
>
> Just to be clear: You want to create byte-identical JSON output which
> possibly means patching/modifying rapidjson?
>
> -- Andy

"Patching/modifying rapidjson" sounds a little extreme here: the compact
"minified" form that Matlab's jsonencode produces is probably achievable
without such extreme measures. It's just all whitespace elided. (Whether
this can be practically achieved without violating the Matlab license is
another question.)

Given that the JSON spec is kind of loose and there are a lot of
extensions to it, but the base spec is pretty simple, IMHO
byte-identical JSON output is a worthy and maybe achievable goal here.
(Identical decoding behavior on arbitrary inputs is a whole nother ball
game, and I wouldn't suggest pursuing that.)

Cheers,
Andrew