[Paparazzi-devel] Magic values

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Magic values
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 20:39:07 +0100

My Bixler Airframe is nearing completion.
But I'm absolutely overwhelmed by the number of magic values in my airframe file.

I based my config on another 5 channel airframe I found in the sources. Whic was basically cargo cult configuration. With this I copied a lot of things that are probably absolutely wrong for my plane.

I tried to reduce those magic values to a minimum but it does not seem to compile with many of those. I commented out a bunch but there is still a lot left. For most of those values a Wiki search brings no results, or no indication for safe defaults.

I'm sure that I have to eventually do some tuning. But I would like to do this incrementally and based on some sane defaults.

Also there is stuff like aileron mixing in the command laws. They look cool. But should I use that or better not?
And this mixing of rudder and ailerons also happens in MANUAL mode. Good?

Also there is this adaptive control loop. Is that on by default? I don't find options for it. Or should I not use that anyway?

I pasted a copy of my config. You see all the FIXME and the commented stuff.
http://piratepad.net/FSUEQOzM99

I suppose I have to do a lot of tuning. But perhaps if any of you see some big no-no's there or like to comment on choices I have taken (or rather ignored). I would hate to start with a totally botched up setup. Would be nice if it actually flies. :)

Comments welcome.