paragui-dev

Re: [paragui-dev] Paragui/Ruby!

From: Leon Torres
Subject: Re: [paragui-dev] Paragui/Ruby!
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:21:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Andrew Ford wrote:

> Hey, that's cool.  Will any of these changes break
> backwards compatability if they were included in
> 1.0.x?

Most likely not. Before this becomes a concern though...

> Does it break the current Python bindings?

No. However, it's possible that I'll move all Python and Ruby specific
interface definitions somewhere else, so that they can be maintained
independently of the main Paragui distribution. Paragui main should
concern itself only with language-agnostic swig things. I believe this
might be the best way to accomodate future swig bindings to other
languages.

> I think we can include this in 1.2 in any case.
> If nothing gets broken, I think it would be fine to
> include with the main distribution.  As for question
> (1), I don't know, I don't know who was working on the
> Python bindings.

Tell you what, I'll try to seperate the concerns so that the
language-specific bindinds are in sepearate packages. They will
have their own cvs project and GNU autotools setup. This should
make the package maintainer's job easy (logical RPMs and debs)
and prevent stale language bindings from hampering the core
distribution. Also, different people can maintain the various
binding projects. I certainly don't want to keep the Python stuff up to
date. :p

Let me know if this would be a good thing.

- Leon