paragui-dev

Re: [paragui-dev] Paragui Developer

From: Ulf Lorenz
Subject: Re: [paragui-dev] Paragui Developer
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:29:26 +0100

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 11:03:40AM -0800, Christian M. Jensen wrote:
> We are using 1.1.8 but from our experience, we have found that
> significant API changes occur even on the 0.0.1 level and at this point
> it would be difficult justifying a jump up to 1.1.9 if there are any API
> changes from 1.1.8.
AFAIK the main API change is a conversion from char* to std::string in
most text-processing functions. I agree, that is the downfall if there
is only a development version being developed.

> We have built several of our own widgets using ParaGUI as scaffolding
> which may get phased out. What we are looking for is a developer that
> worked on the core of ParaGUI as we feel the work is good and in the
> right direction but not convinced that sticking with ParaGUI will
> satisfy our long term needs.
Ah, yes. :)

> The other option of course is to mould ParaGUI to our needs, which in my
> opinion would ultimately make it a world class product - much like QT.
>
> Any of you up to the task?
Well, I suppose the main problem here is that ultimately, the core
paragui development team reduces to 1 person: Alex. This is not
untypical, I'd say my own project has two core members and is still
progressing nicely. However, I suppose most people here have another
(main) project they are doing and just patch paragui when it becomes
neccessary or when they have time combined with enthusiasm. This is
propably the main problem with making it a world class product.

No offense meant here. And I suppose if you have important patches, Alex
will include them in the main branch as well. But just to *taking out
the dictionary* bring you down to earth again.

Just my 0.02 euro.

Ulf,
who should learn now...

--