RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpgroupware and coldsync

From: Alex Borges
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpgroupware and coldsync
Date: 15 Jul 2002 09:32:48 -0500

About data sync problems.....

Kay, my phpgw deployment has been thoroughly tweaked so as to sycnronize
certain aspects of the whole thing (such as addressbook+users+email
servers+virtualhosts+mailinglists+true global preferences).  This is
done in a command line (thats important for me), and so, traditional
phpgwapi programming is out of the question (as is in your problem -palm
sync)

I was reading the whole thread on this and, at seeing the kinds of
troubles you can get for directly manipulating tables, i decided to
share with u guys the way i did it for thease other things, so then u
guys can decide if this is relevant to the particular technique you are
using for palm-sync.

1.- General rule.
        Since we are modifying stuff in the addressbook, one can get nervous
about directly manipulating the tables (on by oneself modifying the db
schema, or a thourough change the next release will kill your work). So
what i did was the next 'better' thing.... i copied
class.contacts_sql.inc.php to a directory (call it
stepone-sync-tool/inc) and modified it so it could be used on the
command line. Same goes for class.preferences.inc.php ....

        Course, if the api changes or the table layout or schema changes, ill
end up re-porting class.contacts.inc.php...etc...but one thing is just
getting the next version to work under the command line (php cgi) and
another to go through all sql statements  to reflect changes.

2.- um....same as 1 but with the preferences..... so, couldnt
calendar/notes/todo be done the same way?

Or wouldnt it help?

Alex