Re: How to continue

From: Craig Timpany
Subject: Re: How to continue
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:06:38 +1200

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 07:55, you wrote:
> >> A generic unstuck-method for pingus would also be interesting, so that
> >> we don't need to avoid each and every stuckiness, but simply wrap to
> >> pingu to the next free pixel.
> >
> > This sounds like a very good idea. But I guess really implementing
> > those changes is a bit harder then talking about them. ;-)
>
> Implementing something like that is not that difficult, but making
> sure that it works in most situations and doesn't cause unpredictable
> behauviour is actually the hard part.

Uh oh. It sounds like you're talking about using a force to separate Pingus
that overlap with the ground. I spent quite a while working on something
similar in Mojotron (the crate code) and it just made things worse.

The penalty force method means that your physics will never work correctly.
It's very hard to chase down all the situations where objects bounce around
in perpetual motion.

Also, this would hide whatever is actually causing the problem.

Craig Timpany