Re: Windows Specific Fixes

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Windows Specific Fixes
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 21:02:37 +0200

On Sunday 06 October 2002 19:44, Neil Hotmail wrote:
> This is an updated version of the .dsp project file (shall I resubmit this
> file every time it changes?)

Getting a new version whenever a change is required is definitely usefull but
it may be better to find a way to create those patches automatically.

> It is also a fix to #include <algorithm>, I'm not sure if this needs to be
> #ifdef WIN32'd, or moved into a different header file, but it certainly
> doesn't work on windows as is.

It's ok to include it without #ifdef - it's very likely that it's included in
Linux anyway by some header.

> It also patches the display to not update moving backgrounds under
> windows, this stops the slow updating - but still keeps the processor at
> 100% (I imagine it turning out 1000's of frames per second of the same
> thing). Keyboard input still suffers (not as much as before), maybe a
> separate (higher priority) thread is needed for input?

Pingus doesn't use multiple threads but I don't think that would be the right
approach in any case. If there are severe performance problems in Windows
they ought to be fixed.
BTW since Pingus runs in an event loop I'd guess the processor to be at 100%
all the time. Games usually aren't very cooperative about sharing the
computer with other apps.