Re: A Question about Bashers

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: A Question about Bashers
Date: 29 Oct 2002 01:12:18 +0100

David Philippi <address@hidden> writes:

> I could imagine another possible use - reduce the release rate
> enough so that a bridger will be able to complete enough of it's
> bridge that the other lemmings don't fall down.

Lemmings didn't allow to decress the release rate, below a set limit.
Ok, one could set the limit in this case below the
start-up-release-rate, but player might easily get used to setting the
release-rate themself down to the bottem limit if we do that.

> While I don't like the ideas of levels that really require such
> tricks to be solved too much I could imagine another good use -
> secret levels. How about creating a level that may be solved quite
> easily but using such tricks you could solve it using fewer actions
> which in turn would be the precondition for reaching a secret level.

Having levels with multilpe exits is still a thing that must be tried
out. Its far from easy to have levels with two different solution,
where neither of the solution is trivial. If we can't get enough of
such levels done, we might try to approach this differently (changing
levels slightly if you play them a second time or things like that).

> As long as there's a default value we don't have to remove this
> feature. A global release rate modifier could very well reduce the
> rate of every exit by some percentage or similar.

Yep.

> How should anyone add such a level when it's impossible to test wheter it
> works without the feature?

I don't need to play a level to see if its solvable or not, well at
least most of the time =;-)

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927