Re: Some suggested improvements for in-game text

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Some suggested improvements for in-game text
Date: 17 Apr 2003 09:06:08 +0200

Am Mit, 2003-04-16 um 23.41 schrieb Janne:
> I posted a comment on Game Tome about Pingus and mentioned that some of
> the text in the game could use some brushing up. I got kindly reminded
> that it might be a good idea to tell the devels about it, which I now
> do.

A well, so it really was usefull to post there. ;-)

> As I know myself how touchy criticism of language can be, I want to
> stress that these are just suggestions and are in no way meant to be
> taken as criticizing the author. I am involved in gnome translation,
> which means I'm likely a good deal more sensitive to language nuances
> than most players.

Don't worry in the least, we know that the language is far from perfect
and just yesterday I commited a bunch of corrections to the level
descriptions.

> Second screen:
> "..change slowly."
> Should be "slowly change."

Shouldn't "to change slowly" be replaced with "slowly to change"? Left
it as is for now.

> "While you on the other side can practice there"
> "You can, on the other hand, practice"

I choose "You may," instead of "You can," since it sounds better to me.
Correct me if it's wrong.

> "available, you have"
> "available, so you have"

Doesn't make sense to me.

> Eleventh mission:
> "in control, the Blocker"
> "in control; the Blocker"

Possible but very unusual in my experience.

> I haven't seen any further, as the persistant lag and jumping
> unfortunately prevents me from completing any more missions.

Did you try --min-frame-skip, --fast-mode?
You may also try to compile Pingus and ClanLib yourself using "-O2
-march=whatever_you_have" as CXXFLAGS using GCC 3.2.2 This may too help
to speed up the game. Low performance is a known problem and will
hopefully be adressed soon.