Re: Compression support

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Compression support
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:21:24 +0200

Am Mi, den 14.04.2004 schrieb Neil Mitchell um 18:37:
> Is that a good idea? Once a level is compressed, using version control on it

No and I reversed it again. At that time I had about 3 people asking me
things through IM and a few other things to do beside, so I wasn't
exactly concentrated. ;-)

> and compress the files before building user packages. That is of course

It's even a bad idea for packages, at least the Linux ones will be bzip2
compressed and we'd loose if the levels were already gzip compressed.
I'll see what happens for Windows with .zip and add a script for the
Linux package to compress them.
Where it's really more usefull is in the level comment tool, I'll
compress them in a few days, it's changing fast enough as it is.

> unless you want to treat pingus as a closed format, and assume the editor is
> how everyone will use the files, although aren't translations done manually?

No, people should be able to edit levels by hand, that was the idea
behind switching from (old) plf to xml. Translations are done manually
in the levels anyway, once we reach 50 translations we may consider to
store them extern. ;-)