Re: What about an announce-only mailing list?

From: Björn Fischer
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:24:26 +0200

Gervase Lam wrote:

From: Michele Alessandrini
Date: Saturday 17 April 2004 00:33 a

Hi,
I'm a Pingus fan (I already had the occasion to express my apprecation
for your absolutely wonderful game) and I'm subscribed to the list to be
informed about new development.
Anyway, this list brings really too much mail for people not directly
involved in development. Why not consider the option of a low-traffic
list with only announce (new releases, new levels, bug fixes, etc)? A
not repliable one would be even better...

So, is it worth re-instating an announce list? New releases of Pingus do not happen often. With the Web level comment tool/database that is being developed right now, I think using the announce list for new levels would be almost pointless.

well, who can say which of the 150 levels in the playable section of the LCT is new? They are being sorted alphabetically... I think it would be possible to make an announce list, and to make the LCT send a mail to this list anytime a new level is detected.

The only thing left would be bug fixes. I suppose that as soon as a patch is committed to the source code control system, may be an e-mail should be sent to the announce list saying that a patch has been "applied."

isn't that just what the pingus-cvs list does? And I think this is only interesting for developers and also too high frequented for users.

So, in conclusion, I think people who are on the announce list would most likely have the source code on their computers, which means that they are most likely to be on the development list. Any on the announce list who just want a binary would probably unsubscribe anyway because announcements of new releases only come once in a blue moon.

I think that's what Michele wanted. For users (and I mean binary-only users) it is hard to make them remember to check the website frequently for updates. And even if someone wants to check - let's say - once a month, he probably will do it once or twice and then forget about it. But if he was subscribed to such mailing list he would be reminded twice a year (or less :-) that there is a new pingus version out. I think that's really useful.

Greetings

Björn