plex86-devel

[Plex86-devel] [Bug #2599] Virtual Machine fails initial Windows XP ins

From: nobody
Subject: [Plex86-devel] [Bug #2599] Virtual Machine fails initial Windows XP install test
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:09:32 -0500

=================== BUG #2599: LATEST MODIFICATIONS ==================
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=2599&group_id=869

Changes by: Bob Diepenbrock <address@hidden>
Date: Mon 03/24/03 at 16:09 (US/Central)

I'd love to work this but I haven't much idea where to start and how to do it.
Can somebody point me in the right direction?  I'm a fairly good developer with
years of C, but I'm new to this project and still trying to get the lay of the
land.  My first gues is to start in kernel/emulation/emulation.c then add the
instructions to the representive files in the same directory.

Can somebody point me towards the CPU documentation required?  On Intel's site
someplace?

What are the various types of instructions and what is the basis of them being
broken up like they are?

=================== BUG #2599: FULL BUG SNAPSHOT ===================

Submitted by: bob_deep                Project: Plex86 Virtual Machine
Submitted on: Wed 02/19/03 at 11:47
Category:  None                       Severity:  5 - Major
Bug Group:  None                      Resolution:  None
Assigned to:  None                    Status:  Open

Original Submission:  When attempting to install Windows XP, the install fails
with the following error:

"Windows Requires certain processor features that are not available on the
processor in this computer.  Specifically Windows requires the following
instructions:

CPUID
CMPXCHG8B

Setup cannot continue."

The same error for XP-Professional and XP-Home edditions

Follow-up Comments
*******************

Date: Mon 03/24/03 at 12:51         By: RvnPhnx
Well then.  I guess we need to support those if you want to run XP!

CC list is empty

File Attachments

Date: Wed 02/19/03 at 11:47  Name: mine  Size: 2KB   By: bob_deep
Config file for this test