pspp-dev

Re: SPSS version 12 file format

From: Michael Kiefte
Subject: Re: SPSS version 12 file format
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 06:48:13 -0400

On Sunday 28 November 2004 01:48, Rob Messer wrote:
> There is one problem -- the SPSS v12 format is not published that I know
> of, it would probably have to be reverse engineered unless somebody can
> find that file format somehow.  It may not be that much different from
> the old format except for the long variable names, I'm not sure.  The
> time to figure out the file format would just have to be factored into
> the cost.

The file format is not that different.  However, I was under the impression
that PSPP already handled long variable names (longer than 8 chars?), but
evidently, I may be wrong.  The only other differences I'm aware of are the
additional miscellaneous records in the file dictionary like variable
alignment (left, centre, or right) and variable scale (nominal, ordinal,
scalar).

I can look into this, since this is something I'm interested in this as well.
(but not in the next couple of weeks).

- Michael.