pspp-dev

Re: SPSS version 12 file format

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: SPSS version 12 file format
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:29:41 -0800

> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 08:24:15AM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>      Michael Kiefte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>      > The file format is not that different.  However, I was under the
> impression
>      > that PSPP already handled long variable names (longer than 8 chars?),
> but
>      > evidently, I may be wrong.
>
>      We don't handle long names yet.
>
> But you can assign a label to a variable which for many purposes
> achieves a similar result. And I don't think there's any limit to the
> length of a label.

There's an artificial limit of 255 characters, for compatibility.

But (part of) what we're talking about is an SPSS version 12
feature that allows variable names up to 64 characters.  It would
be nice to support this in PSPP too, but we don't yet.
--
Ben Pfaff <address@hidden>
Fall 2004 CS140 teaching assistant