pspp-dev

error i18n (was: Re: PSPP conference call notes.)

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: error i18n (was: Re: PSPP conference call notes.)
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 11:36:37 -0700

>      >      - Should add log file support and support for sending errors to
>      >        the listing file.  Both should be easy now.
>      >
>      > But we need to consider the i18n issues involved.
>
>      Are there any new ones, beyond those in sending errors to the
>      console?
>
> The main question is, "In what language should the errors should be,
> if the output language (from SET OLANG) happens to be different from
> the langauge of the system locale?"  Again perhaps a discussion for a
> seperate thread.

OK.  New thread.

I think it's simply impractical to be in more than one locale at
a time for messages.  For one thing, calls to the _() and
gettext() functions would have to be postponed until well after
the point they're called now, so that we could call them once for
each locale we're in.  So I'd think that SET OLANG would change
the language for all messages, regardless of where they're going.
--
Ben Pfaff
email: address@hidden