pspp-dev

Re: Flexifiles

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Flexifiles
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 20:16:54 +0800

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 05:01:29PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     Yes, we could do the API changes.  I have too many things on my
     plate already, so I am not going to promise to do this.  If you
     have time and the inclination, then you are welcome to do so,
     although I'd like to look over see a draft of the changes before
     they are checked in, if that's all right.

See the patch at
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=5209

It needs some cleaning, but I think it's a start.

Note:

1. struct casefile is now an abstract data type.

2. struct fastfile is a derivation of struct casefile. struct
   flexifile will be another.

3. I'm thinking that the methods casefile_sleep, casefile_in_core and
   casefile_to_disk will be optional.  Concrete casefiles may choose
   to implement them or not, since they're there only for optimisation
   purposes.

4. I'm not too sure what to do about casefile_mode_reader.  This is
   only called from one place (in scratch-writer.c) and I'm not sure
   that it's really necessary.  It doesn't seem to belong in the base
   class anyway.  Perhaps it can disappear from the public interface
   altogether.

5. casefile_get_random_reader will no longer be necessary once this
   exercise is complete.

Comments so far?

J'

--