pspp-dev

Re: error i18n

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: error i18n
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 11:06:38 +0800

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 11:36:37AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     I think it's simply impractical to be in more than one locale at
     a time for messages.  For one thing, calls to the _() and
     gettext() functions would have to be postponed until well after
     the point they're called now, so that we could call them once for
     each locale we're in.  So I'd think that SET OLANG would change
     the language for all messages, regardless of where they're going.

I don't think it's impractical.  Like you say, it'll mean changing
instances of msg(_("xxx")); to msg(N_("xxx"); and putting the
responsibility of calling gettext to the message delivery.  It's a
little slower and a little more complex, but I think it may be
worthwhile.

In general, SET OLANG isn't supposed to change the language of
messages. It changes the language of the output.  So if I'm preparing
a report for a Japanese journal, I can SET OLANG=Japanese, but I'll
still get error messages in my own language.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3