pspp-dev

Re: [patch #5583] NPAR TESTS

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: [patch #5583] NPAR TESTS
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 19:16:08 -0800

> On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 01:36:39AM +0000, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
>      Follow-up Comment #1, patch #5583 (project pspp):
>
>      Have you checked out the algorithms described on spss.com against what
> SPSS
>      Statistical Algorithms says?  The latter might be dated; who
>      knows.
>
> I was actually refering to the pages downloaded from spss.com  So far
> as I'm aware, they are identical to those from SPSS Statistical
> Algorithms.  I'll check the copy in the UWA library next week to make
> sure.

I have a copy of that book here at home, so I can save you a
trip.  Everything on page 8 in npar_tests.pdf from spss.com
(headed "Binomial Tests") is identical to text in SPSS
Statistical Algorithms (2 ed.), except for one point: the .pdf
has a square root in the denominator of the formulas for Z_1 and
Z_2, but the book's formulas omit the square roots.

>      In value_dup, I'd prefer to calculate the size as MIN(width,
>      sizeof *val).
>
> This would give the wrong answer, since if width is zero, then the
> size should be 8.

Where I wrote MIN, read MAX.
--
Ben Pfaff