pspp-dev

Re: Localization and pspp on MSWindows

From: unknown-1
Subject: Re: Localization and pspp on MSWindows
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:06:16 +0100

2009/2/13, John Darrington <>:
On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:57:20AM +0100, unknown-1 wrote:

<...>
>Po files are source files.  They are not installed, but are "compiled"
>into .mo files which are installed into ${prefix}/<locale>/LC_MESSAGES

Right. I know, it seems I was careless when typing this.

Sorry to be so evasive.

I understand more and more of the problems.

I'm still a bit unsure of your motive for
wanting these things.  If I understood that better, then perhaps I'd
be able to provide a more helpfull response.

The problems is:
- On linux: If the nl.po is included in the source archive and the LINGUAGE (or what its name is) file is changed, the pspp.mo is created and placed in the new directory nl/LC_MESSAGES. When PSPPIRE is started it uses the dutch translation. So this works like intended.

- On MSWindows: If the nl.po is included in the source archive and the LINGUAGE (or what its name is) file is changed, the pspp.mo is created and placed in the new directory nl/LC_MESSAGES. When PSPPIRE is started it doesn't use the dutch translation. This happens on the Cygwin and on the Mingw versions. If I check things on the Cygwin version. I see it is compiled with --enable-nls and gettext is installed.  I don't know why the translation isn't used. The installation is correct as it works on Linux. A problem could be that PSPPIRE uses other/wrong language settings. Or PSPPIRE on MSWindows is not looking in the directory where the .mo files is placed. Or...... Infact I have no clue where to search for the problem/solution and I hope seeing where PSPPIRE is looking for the .mo files etc. could give me a clue.

I hope this makes more clear why I would like to see this information.

Have fun