pspp-dev

Re: Problem editing file

From: Michel Boaventura
Subject: Re: Problem editing file
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:29:37 -0300

On my thread on mingw list, the minw team became a little angry :D
http://www.nabble.com/rename()-funcion-td22612065.html

Resuming, it will stays in the same way. They made two suggestion:

1) rename the original file to other thing, rename the tmp file to new one,
and if everything works fine, remove the original.(john already had
suggest this)

2) use the MoveFileEX, who is the only function on windows capable to
rename a file to other already existent.

The mingw team complain that as C99 says that this issue is a
implementation decision, if we believe that rename
will overwrite a file, we are restricting or software to only POSIX OSs.