pspp-dev

strange problem with non-ascii chars

From: Michel Boaventura
Subject: strange problem with non-ascii chars
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 04:45:08 -0300

Hello,

I've talked about this issue some time ago as a bug which affects only Windows. But now I can reproduce it also on linux.

If I use Linux with a locale which doesn't use utf8, or on Windows (which also doesn't uses utf8) the Type of the variables on psppire appears with strange chars. If I run psppire with a utf8 charset, the problem disappears.

Its strange that it only affects the type of the variable. Name, label and values works fine on both locales.

with an utf8 locale: http://pspp.michelboaventura.com/files/with.png
without an utf8 locale: http://pspp.michelboaventura.com/files/without.png

The same problem happens if I try to open a file with non-ascii chars on its name. With non utf8 locales the file just doesn't open. I get a log of errors on terminal like: (psppire:19668): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

and on output I get:

GET FILE=X'C383C2A7C383C2A36F2E736176'.
error: Error opening "ção.sav": File not found.

Michel