pspp-dev

Re: Re: Patch for review

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Re: Patch for review
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 07:03:39 +0200

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 01:54:47PM +0200, Harry Thijssen wrote:

     In my new MSWindows build, importing a spreadsheet file, results in getting
     the comma-separated-value wizard. Was that your intention?

The "Text Import Dialog" has been generalised to a "Import Dialog". That is to
say, it now imports files of a foreign format.   The File Chooser page of the
wizard is common to all files.  The subsequent pages depend on what kind of file
you are trying to import.

Hence, if you select a text file, you will get the page "Importing Texual Data"
as
before; if you choose a OpenDocument spreadsheet file or a Gnumeric file you
should
see a page entitled "Importing Spreadsheet Data".

     Also "all spreadsheets" seems not to see a .xlsx file, Should I do anything
     for it in the MSWindows build? Maybe I should change the registry for it
     too?

Currently there is no converter for Excel files.  I think there is a free
library
in the wild somewhere which can do it, so in principle we could implement such a
thing.  But the ability to import the native format of free programs such as
Libreoffice
and Gnumeric is a lot more important than of proprietary programs.

Note, that excel users can still get their data into pspp, for example, by
first exporting
to CSV.

J'

--