pspp-dev

Re: Proposal for new art for GNU PSPP

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Proposal for new art for GNU PSPP
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 13:44:48 -0700

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Hugo Alejandro <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello again.
I write to tell a new information.
I have contacted a graphic designer GNOME project partner (Jakub
Steiner) and has guided me with links and tutorials. Moreover, I asked
about the "chart icon" and kindly send it to me (the original) and
told me I was free to use as icon  PSPP under license CCBYSA3, which
is great news because it is a fantastic icon and it looks great in
PSPP.
Although I would have liked to do something myself, this is what makes
it great opensource software.

A useful link as licensing.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2010-March/msg12239.html

The GNU webpage on licenses at  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html says
that CC BY-SA 2.0 is a good license for artistic works, so it seems reasonable to
me in this case.  I don't know what differences there are among 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0
(the versions I've seen mentioned so far), but assuming that they do not make it
non-free, I'm inclined to take these icons without any legal paperwork.  After all,
it seems that the worst that could happen is that we would have to switch back
to the old icons.

Thank you very much!

John, it sounded like you had already looked into what it would take to add these
into the tree.  Have you started working on merging them in?