pspp-dev

Re: Nightly build failure for user manual since 12th of October

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Nightly build failure for user manual since 12th of October
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 19:38:42 +0200

41;344;0cOn Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 09:18:35AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     Hmm. It's worse than that, since now it's impossible to build a source
     distribution from Git without first building the PSPP binary.

That much is true.

     And I think that cross-compiling from Git is impossible now?
     Since you can't build the manual unless you first build and run the binary.

Yes and no.  One must first build a native binary, at least for the
terminal version of PSPP, because that is used to generate the
example outputs.  Once you've done that, then you can do a cross build.

However, it's going to get worse :/   because I have plans to auto generate
screenshots for the manual.  These will depend upon a nativly built
and installed PSPPIRE.  So when that happens, then yes, almost everything
will have to be built, before the manual can be built.

     I think I need to discard the idea of having separate "source" and "binary"
     nightly builds.

In my opinion, it would still be useful to have a regular build-bot
to check that cross-builds can be performed from the tarball, even if
that tarball can only be generated after building a native binary.

J'