pspp-dev

User manual

From: John Darrington
Subject: User manual
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 09:00:41 +0100

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:11:16PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     I pushed improvements to the tutorial so that its output is also
     generated automatically at build time.

Thanks for that.

I am of the opinion that the user manual needs a major reorganisation.
Some chapters need to be merged with others.   Some chapters need to be
deleted altogether.    When it started, our manual was strictly a reference
manual.  Then the tutorial chapter was added.   And now we have some tutorial
material in the reference sections.    The sections to each chapter are sorted
alphabetically, which IMO is not particularly useful and is unnecessary since
we have an index.   The manual needs to be arranged in the order in which
a reader is likely to need them.

As far as example output is concerned, I would like find a better option than
the "ascii" driver's output for the printed manual.  I have some ideas for
an improvement, but only ideas at this stage.

J'