pspp-users

Re: Should I use PSPP or R?

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: Should I use PSPP or R?
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 07:34:08 -0500

Thomas Levine wrote:
> I haven't ever used any real stats package unless you want to count the
> one on the TI-89 Titanium, and seems it won't really matter which one I
> use as whatever I do should be pretty simple, so I'll use another
> criterium that I sometimes use to determine which program to use: Is it
> easier to convert files from PSPP to R or from R to PSPP?

R and PSPP are not that comparable, especially given the current state
of statistical routines in PSPP.  If you want to analyze some data then
SPSS (and someday soon, PSPP) is a good route.  If you want to learn a
neat statistical programming language which, incidentally will allow you
to analyze data at some point, start with R.

Again, my recommendation would be to learn both so you can pick the one
that is easier/better for a given task.

--
Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions,
including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog.

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.             | Institute of Psychology
Assistant Professor             | Illinois Institute of Technology
Scientific Adviser,             | 3101 South Dearborn, 2nd floor
Center for Research and Service | Chicago IL 60616

Skype: alandmead
+312.567.5933 (Campus)
+815.588.3846 (Home)
+312.567.3493 (Fax)