pspp-users

Re: About packages for graphic interface

From: Stephen Liu
Subject: Re: About packages for graphic interface
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:01:30 +0800 (CST)

--- Ben Pfaff <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stephen Liu <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > But I can't sort out how to start the graphic interface mode
>
> Run "psppire".

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your advice

I can't start it

# psppire
(psppire:327): Gdk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

# export DISPLAY=localhost:1
# psppire
(psppire:328): Gdk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Still the same.

Therefore I started searching around on the manual and found;

(see)
The following packages are required to enable PSPP's graphing features.
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/pspp/INSTALL?revision=1.16&root=pspp&view=markup&pathrev=MAIN

It needs;

libplot
pkg-config
GTK+
libglade

and

optional;
libncurses
libreadline
libhistory
texinfo

I found follows on Debian repo;

libplplot9
pkg-config
libgtk2.0-0 (already installed)
libglade2-0 (already installed)

optional;
libncurses5 (already installed)
libreadline5 (already installed)
libhistory NOT available.
texinfo

I wonder whether libplplot9 is same as libplot, only being different in
version.  I posted it on Debian mailing list without reply.

Furthermore I don't have X running on PSPP which is running on a VE (a
guest on OpenVZ), the virtualization box) with Debian 5.0-minimal as
OS.  Whether I need it?  If YES, then I'll install X.

If WITHOUT X, can I run ssh to remote access PSPP on a Linux
workstation on the same LAN?  If YES, please advise HOW.  TIA

B.R.
Stephen L