pspp-users

error exporting data dictionary

From: Ricardo Pietrobon
Subject: error exporting data dictionary
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 15:18:01 -0400

Hi, I am new to pspp, and am trying to open a .sav file and then export it's dictionary. Opening works, well, but the export command returns the following:

PSPP> get file='data.sav'
    > EXPORT
warning: `data.sav': This system file does not indicate its own character
encoding.  Using default encoding UTF-8.  For best results, specify an encoding
explicitly.  Use SYSFILE INFO with ENCODING="DETECT" to analyze the possible
encodings.

error: `data.sav' near offset 0x9818: Invalid variable name `BRA?O'.
PSPP>

The file contains labels in Portuguese and so utf-8 should theoretically be just fine. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

many thanks