pspp-users

Re: error exporting data dictionary

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: error exporting data dictionary
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 09:56:54 -0700

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 03:18:01PM -0400, Ricardo Pietrobon wrote:
> Hi, I am new to pspp, and am trying to open a .sav file and then export
> it's dictionary. Opening works, well, but the export command returns the
> following:
>
> PSPP> get file='data.sav'
>     > EXPORT
> warning: `data.sav': This system file does not indicate its own character
> encoding.  Using default encoding UTF-8.  For best results, specify an
> encoding
> explicitly.  Use SYSFILE INFO with ENCODING="DETECT" to analyze the possible
> encodings.
>
> error: `data.sav' near offset 0x9818: Invalid variable name `BRA?O'.
> PSPP>
>

> The file contains labels in Portuguese and so utf-8 should theoretically be
> just fine. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

A few comments.

The error you're seeing is from opening the file, you just didn't
include a trailing . on the GET command so PSPP had to read the
beginning of the next command to realize that the GET was complete.

The particular error message indicates that the file is not in UTF-8.
As the error message says, use SYSFILE INFO with ENCODING="DETECT" to
analyze the possible encodings.