pspp-users

Re: Install language: OS X 10.15.5, pspp-1.3.0-g69a18e796

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Install language: OS X 10.15.5, pspp-1.3.0-g69a18e796
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 19:48:35 +0200

I thought CentOS 8 had been released last year?

J'

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 12:44:05PM -0500, Alan Mead wrote:
     On 7/29/2020 12:31 PM, John Darrington wrote:

     > Ssw is very easy to build and install.  It requires gtk+ but once you
     > have that installed there are no other dependencies.  I presume CentOS
is like
     > most other distros; they will accept package contributions from
     > volunteers?
     >
     > J'

     CentOS attempts close compatibility to Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL),
     so if RHEL doesn't ship PSPP, then contributions would go into an
     Extra's repo or some projects maintain a package for RHEL/CentOS.

     But Fedora is upstream and used to maintain a PSPP package (maybe still
     does; and it not using ancient versions of libraries like RHEL) so
     that's where I'd focus.

     I can take a look since it's been a long time. The last version of
     PSPPIRE that I got to compile on CentOS 6 (with considerable help from
     you) was 0.8.5, IIRC, and I think at the time we didn't think that
     CentOS 6 would ever support future versions because of the old libraries
     (including, IIRC, libc). That's fine, it's almost EOL, but CentOS 7
     probably isn't that much more advanced.

     -Alan

     --

     Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
     President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

     science + technology = better workers

     http://www.alanmead.org

     Only one thing is impossible for God: to find any sense in any copyright
     law on the planet.

     -- Mark Twain