qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 00/16] migration queue

From: Leonardo Bras Soares Passos
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/16] migration queue
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 03:28:04 -0300

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 5:55 AM Dr. David Alan Gilbert
<dgilbert@redhat.com> wrote:

> * Leonardo Bras Soares Passos (leobras@redhat.com) wrote:
> > From a previous thread:
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 1:20 PM Dr. David Alan Gilbert
> > <dgilbert@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Leo:
> > >   Unfortunately this is failing a couple of CI tests; the MSG_ZEROCOPY
> > > one I guess is the simpler one; I think Stefanha managed to find the
> > > liburing fix for the __kernel_timespec case, but that looks like a bit
> > > more fun!
> > >
> > > Dave
> >
> > I thought Stefanha had fixed this bug, and we were just waiting for a
> > new alpine rootfs/image with that fixed.
> > Is that correct?
> >
> > On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 7:43 AM Dr. David Alan Gilbert
> > <dgilbert@redhat.com> wrote:

> > [...]
> > >
> > > Yes, I think there was a thread after the 1st pull where Leo identified
> > > the patch that fixed it; but it's not in that image.
> >
> > I only fixed the MSG_ZEROCOPY missing define bug, as I got that
> > Stefanha had already fixed the issue in liburing/alpine.
> >
> > questions:
> > - Has Stefanha really fixed that, and we are just waiting for a new
> > image, or have I got that wrong?
> > - How should I proceed with that?
> >
> > - If we proceed with fixing this up in alpine, will that require this
> > patchset to be on pause until it's fixed there?
>
> It needs to pass in CI; so yes.
>
> > - If so, is there any suggestion on how to fix that in qemu code?
> > (this header is needed because of SO_EE_* defines)
>
> I've not actually looked at the detail of the failure; but yes I think
> we need a qemu workaround here.
>
> If there's no simple fix, then adding a test to meson.build to
> conditionally disable liburing might be best; like the test code for
> libcap_ng I guess (search in meson.build for libcap_ng.found  at around
> line 540.

Hello Dave,

I solved this issue by doing this:

+linux_io_uring_test = '''
+  #include <liburing.h>
+  #include <linux/errqueue.h>
+
+  int main(void) { return 0; }'''
+
 linux_io_uring = not_found
 if not get_option('linux_io_uring').auto() or have_block
   linux_io_uring = dependency('liburing', version: '>=0.3',
                               required: get_option('linux_io_uring'),
                               method: 'pkg-config', kwargs: static_kwargs)
+  if not cc.links(linux_io_uring_test)
+    linux_io_uring = not_found
+  endif
 endif
+

Seems to work fine in CI, and now Alpine does not fail anymore.
(See pipeline https://gitlab.com/LeoBras/qemu/-/pipelines/538123933
for reference)

I am not sure if this is the right thing to do, but I will be sending
it as a full new patchset (v13), with the first patch being the one
with the above change and the rest just carrying the recommended
fixes.

I was also thinking I could instead send the single "fix" patch, and
recommend adding it before my v12. If that is the correct approach for
this case, please let me know so I can improve in the future. (I am
trying to figure out what is simpler/best for maintainers)

Best regards,
Leo