Re: [RP] Close window manager onlast program exit

From: benno
Subject: Re: [RP] Close window manager onlast program exit
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:47:45 +1100

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Ryan Yeske wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have just been hacking around with ratpoison so that it will exit
> > when all windows are closed.
>
> Interesting.
>
> > Closing down the window manager when there are no windows left to manage
> > seems to be logical too me, (but probably not anyone else ;).
>
> Well, there is no other way currently to quit Ratpoison, except for
> running ratpoison --kill, so it does solve a small hole in the current
> design.
>
> Also, with a goal of ratpoison being GNU Screen emulation (at least in my
> mind) it makes sense to emulate Screen's behavior in this sense as well.
>
> So, count me in as agreeing that this *seems* logical.  Although it
> might be a bit frustrating to hit C-t k on my last window, not knowing
> its my last window and having X shut down when that wasnt my
> intention.

Yeah that could be a problem, but ratpoison is so light weight that restarting
the Xserver isn't so much of an issue.

> > Anyway, if anyone else thinks this is useful please let me know and
> > I'll generate some patches.
>
> I'd be interested in giving your changes a try.
>
> What happens when you first start the wm up though?  Screen will start
> up a shell, but ratpoison starts with nothing.  Do your patches kill
> the wm only after something has been run within ratposion and then
> killed?

Yeah the patch only kills ratpoison after something has been run.

Patch attached. It isn't too many lines of code. The only problem
may be is that the patch is against 0.0.5 not the latest CVS, this is
because I was having stability problems with the latest version. Hopefully
it should still work, if not let me no and I'll try and play with the
latest version again.

Cheers,

Benno