Re: [RP] Close window manager onlast program exit

From: Martin Samuelsson
Subject: Re: [RP] Close window manager onlast program exit
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:52:20 +0100

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 03:27:57PM -0800, Ryan Yeske wrote:
> > I have just been hacking around with ratpoison so that it will exit
> > when all windows are closed.
>
> Interesting.

Maybe, maybe not is my opinion. It should be configurable if you ask me. ;)

> Well, there is no other way currently to quit Ratpoison, except for
> running ratpoison --kill, so it does solve a small hole in the current
> design.

Actually I used "xkill -id <number>" today. My cpu-server hung itself for some
reason so my X-session became quite useless without network access to it's
windowmanager. (I didn't think sparc systems were able to hang without a
reason...)

However, guessing what window to kill wasn't easy. Would it be simple to add a
line of code so that "xwininfo -root -tree" showed ratpoison strings were
appropiate?

> Also, with a goal of ratpoison being GNU Screen emulation (at least in my
> mind) it makes sense to emulate Screen's behavior in this sense as well.

I've been playing in my mind with the thought of integrating xmove into
ratpoison. That would make it very screen like with detach and reattaching
working. But I aint capable of writing that advanced code. And the way I
remember it xmove and ratpoison have conflicting licences. Right?

> So, count me in as agreeing that this *seems* logical.  Although it
> might be a bit frustrating to hit C-t k on my last window, not knowing
> its my last window and having X shut down when that wasnt my
> intention.

Maybe adding a dialog window or command bar action request when quiting would
be the best thing to do?
--
/Martin