Re: [RP] Solaris/CDE problem solved

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] Solaris/CDE problem solved
Date: 14 Feb 2001 21:08:22 -0800

shawn <address@hidden> writes:

> I have some access to Solaris boxes with CDE. However I usually log
> >in to them with an open look session starting ratpoison. When did
> >the problem occur? I could give a try at seeing everything works as
> >it should for me to.
> >
> >I'm not an expert at CDE so please give me a few hints on what
> >files that should be customized so that rp gets started instead of
> >mwm. ".dtprofile" perhaps?
>
> I believe way back when, I hacked CDE to run 9wm. I think I stuck
>
> exec 9wm
>
> at the end of the .dtprofile...Its been a while though. It was
> something suitable gross. Ryan, do you remember?

no no no.  it was *way* grosser than that.  i think i deleted all my
my old stuff on fraser, but iirc we couldnt specify an alternate wm
directly (gotta love those sysadmins).  We could, however execute code
at the end of .dtprofile.  So we wrote a script that found out the
pids of dtterm and/or dtwm and maybe dtsession and killed them all,
leaving only X, and then execing 9wm.

During the phase of debugging the script things would sometimes get
funky and I would be unable to get into my account, I'd have to ftp
delete the start9wm-hack.sh file to be able to get in again.

not a clean solution, but it worked.

Ryan

--
I'm an East Side TYPE..