Re: [RP] Solaris/CDE problem solved

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] Solaris/CDE problem solved
Date: 14 Feb 2001 21:18:54 -0800

Ryan Yeske <address@hidden> writes:

> no no no.  it was *way* grosser than that.  i think i deleted all my
> my old stuff on fraser, but iirc we couldnt specify an alternate wm
> directly (gotta love those sysadmins).  We could, however execute code
> at the end of .dtprofile.  So we wrote a script that found out the
> pids of dtterm and/or dtwm and maybe dtsession and killed them all,
> leaving only X, and then execing 9wm.
>
> During the phase of debugging the script things would sometimes get
> funky and I would be unable to get into my account, I'd have to ftp
> delete the start9wm-hack.sh file to be able to get in again.
>
> not a clean solution, but it worked.

I just ssh'd fraser and found the old scripts we used to do this.  I'm
sure most don't care but hey, if your ever at SFU or some similarily
messed up place and want to run something other than the default CDE
garbage...

seems we did just kill the dtwm, start 9wm, and then when that was
dead kill the Xsession.  yuck.

---------- .dtprofile
DTSOURCEPROFILE=true  # not sure what this does...

xmodmap ~/misc/dvorak.xmodmap
sh $HOME/boot_9

----------- EOF

----------- boot_9
#!/bin/sh

ARCH=`arch`
BIN=$HOME/usr/SunOS-${ARCH}-bin
WMSWITCHES="-nostalgia -grey -term $BIN/rxvt"
WM="$BIN/9wm $WMSWITCHES"
PATH=/usr/bin: #had to rexport the entire default search path here, i forget why
if [ -x $WM ]; then
   kill -KILL `ps -u $USER | awk '/dtwm/ { print $1; }'`
   export PATH
   xmodmap $HOME/xmodmap.hyper+super
   $WM
   kill -KILL `ps -u $USER | awk '/Xsession/ { print $1; }'`
fi

Ryan

--
Is this TERMINAL fun?