Re: [RP] crude patch to pass windowids from cmd_exec

From: shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] crude patch to pass windowids from cmd_exec
Date: Wed Sep 5 00:07:04 2001

>From: address@hidden
>Sender: address@hidden
>Date: Tue,  4 Sep 2001 13:59:10 -0400 (EDT)
>
>This crude patch substitutes the decimal windowid into the first
>occurance of & in a cmd_exec string.  There are other ways of doing
>this, possibly better [hmm, just occurred to me: any reason cmd_exec
>doesn't just set $WINDOWID for the child?  perhaps I'll try patching
>that together too] but my main goal is to have a convenient way to
>call out to "xwit" (a fine companion to ratpoison) and have it know
>the "current" window.                                 _Mark_

One way could be to parse the output of 'ratpoison -c windows' which
will spit a list of the windows. a * after the number indicates the
current window and a + denotes the last accessed window.

I'm reluctant to add your patch since it seems like, uhm, well...a
hack. piping the above command through awk and using its output with
xwit would probably do what you're looking for and wouldn't require
any source kludges.