[RP] Ideas about some screen commands..

From: Gergely Nagy
Subject: [RP] Ideas about some screen commands..
Date: Thu Sep 13 09:08:02 2001

Hello Yet Again!

In case I'm not getting on anyone's nerves, here are a bunch of random
ideas I'm collecting, while waiting for emacs21 to compile on my Hurd
box.

I've seen in the TODO list, and in the src/actions.c sources too, that
there are some screen commands that are not implemented, yet may prove
useful. So, I reread screen's info manual, and have the following
ideas:

*) chdir [DIRECTORY], if implemented, this should be done in
ratpoison, since :exec cd /foo doesn't work as expected. A patch is
attached to this e-mail.

*) command, this is the same as my symbind, so symbind should be
renamed to command

*) fit does the same as maximize, so in my opinion, maximize should be
renamed to fit, and for compatibility maximize could be symbound to it

*) hardcopy, hardcopy_append and hardcopydir could be implemented as
exec commands, using a custom shell script and imagemagick's convert,
or xwd (again, I can write an implementation of this in ~10 minutes)

*) info shouldn't be too hard to implement, either in ratpoison, or as
a custom shell script using $XWINDOWID, some tool, and ratpoison -c echo

*) lastmsg shouldn't be hard either, we just need to store the last
message in a global variable. This could be done in a few minutes too.

*) meta sounds like our generate

*) screen (ratpoison) could be implemented as calling ratpoison -c,
but I may have misunderstood the screen docs..

*) setenv/unsetenv might prove useful, or might not. I think I could
hack it up in two minutes :)

*) sleep could be implemented with a while loop, sleep, and SIGALRM,
or maybe easier, I'd need to experiment a bit with this.. (I think it
would be a useful thingy for ratpoison scripts in the future)

*) startup_message could be used to hide/show the initial
ratpoison-started-now message

One thing that might prove useful for scripts is a `dump' command,
that would dump all current ratpoison settings...

Hm, and maybe some existing ratpoison commands could be implemented
with ratpoison -c and some shell magic.. (like time and windows for
example)

I'll sit down now, and code as many of the above as possible in 30
minutes, then, I'll go online, and send this stuff :)

Cheers,
--
Gergely Nagy \ mhp/|8]