[RP] Scripting question - or two...

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: [RP] Scripting question - or two...
Date: Fri Oct 5 02:43:03 2001

Figuring out how to script the creation of the frames I want was
pretty simple. However, scripting the opening of windows in the frames
I want them in has pretty much defeated me. No matter what I do, the
last window opened is the only one visible, and the other frames are
empty. Anyone got an example of doing that kind of thing?

And, for the next question - has anyone thought about making it
possible to script ratpoison without invoking the ratpoison binary? I
did this for my previous window manager (lwm) by putting CORBA objects
around the objects in the window manager. The advantage of doing this
- as opposed to embedding java, or python, or perl, or whatever the
flavor of the month is - is that you can then write your scripts in
your favorite language that has CORBA support. I mostly wrote scripts
in Python, but I have tools in C and Java as well.

Before everyone complains about the size, please note:

bash-2.05$ size /usr/local/bin/{lwm,ratpoison}
  37244    1256     684   39184    9910 /usr/local/bin/lwm
  47170    1540     672   49382    c0e6 /usr/local/bin/ratpoison

lwm is the window manager with CORBA support added, and I think it's
corba support requires more classes that ratpoison would.

This wouldn't really add any new functionality - assuming the thing
about getting windows to appear in the frame I want them in is
possible - it would make writing scripts to drive things much, much
easier. For example, a ratmenu-like popup that lists "workspaces", and
lets you change between them, reconfiguring the frames and putting
different windows where you want them would be straightforward.

Reactions? Rotten tomatoes?

        Thanx,
        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.