Re: [RP] support for multiple screens in ratpoison?

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: Re: [RP] support for multiple screens in ratpoison?
Date: Mon Oct 8 10:03:02 2001

address@hidden types:
> > I've had as many as 4 X servers running today, I don't think I can get
> > one to start on multiple screens to test it :-(.
> For testing, "Xnest -scrns 3" gets you 3 windows which are :1.0 :1.1 :1.2,
> and you can play with those at will...                                _Mark_

Cool. But the behavior is odd. If I run rp on Xnest servers inside of
rp, it doesn't work. With multiple screens, rp exits with the error
message "There can be only ONE." With one screen, keyboard events
don't get to it. If I use lwm as the external window manager,
ratpoison works. It even manages screens on multiple windows. However,
it doesn't realize that it's *got* multiple screens. Forcing a window
to the second screen unmaps anything on the first screen. Splitting
the window results in a window on each screen, with half the screen
unused, and focus takes you between those two windows, never hitting
the empty spaces.

In short, it looks like it mostly works, and shouldn't be hard to
fix. I'm not planning on doing it, though.

For the person who asked about X references, lwm handles multiple
screens just fine, and is well-written and small. You might want to
take a look at it.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.