Re: [RP] Re: bugs?

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: bugs?
Date: Wed Oct 10 12:43:12 2001

shawn <address@hidden> types:
> Mike Meyer <address@hidden> writes:
> > I haven't had any look recreating the problem with windows raising
> > themselves and moving the focus :-(. Is there some technic to allow me
> > to capture a window of output from a debug build of rp, without having
> > to capture it all? If so, I'd leave that running and grab it when I
> > noticed the problem.
> Open emacs and netscape (gag!) in seperate frames and in emacs, type:
> M-x browse-url RET. it will ask an url, type something in. Netscape
> will make a raise request and if the rudeness is set to honour raise
> requests the focus will change to the frame containing netscape. If
> you set the rudeness to ignore these requests a message should show
> up.

Changing the focus after a raise request is a rather nasty
habit. Having that happening between the escape character and the key
bound to close a window would not be a pleasant experience.

> I haven't had any messups though. What sort of messups are we talking
> about, here?

The problem I was seeing (again, this may have been in 1.0, and since
fixed) was with skipstone. It has the noxious habit of raising itself
when after it finishes rendering to the bottom of its window. To
disable that, I set rudeness to ignore them. I would open skipstone on
a page that autoupdated with information I want to monitor in
realtime, then go work in another frame. When skipstone issued the
raise request, the focus would jump to the frame skipstone is in, with
no effort on my part.

I normally do this on weekends, and didn't have notice any problems
last weekend.

BTW, I have a marvelous quote for rp users: "The window manager is to
important to be limited to a device with as little bandwidth as a
mouse." I'm trying to find the correct attribution for it.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.