[RP] frame navigation commands?

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: [RP] frame navigation commands?
Date: Wed Oct 17 17:26:09 2001

This is mostly brainstorming, to see what others think.

Rp has very nice window manipulation commands. That includes the
ability to name and number windows, to alternate between windows, and
to easily switch to windows by either name or number, including
default bindings with shortcuts to the first 10 windows. Frames are
relatively new, and the commands for manipulating them don't seem to
be nearly as well thought out.

I'm proposing replacing the frame manipulation commands with a set
similar to the window manipulation commands. Right now, we have focus,
focus<direction>, and my focuslast command. I'd like to replace those
by commands that mimic the window commands:

        fnext   -> does what focus does.
        fprev   -> goes the other direction from focus
        fother  -> my focuslast command
        ftitle  -> give a user title to the frame
        fnumber -> renumber the current frame
        fselect -> select a frame by name or title

and, for the people doing scripting:

        frames  -> print - or display - information about frames.

The goal is to make the user interfaces similar, and to allow code
sharing for things like "find the named/numbered element of a list."

Does anyone think this is a really bad or good idea?

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.