Re: [RP] finally; window selection menu

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: Re: [RP] finally; window selection menu
Date: Thu Nov 1 17:34:03 2001

Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> types:
> Thanks Mike.  That is definately a good point you brought out.
> Now, Mike, what is that about your Python version?  Last I remember, it
> took quite a few lines to accomplish the same thing as this shell does,
> and also it used the old version of ratmenu, not the new one that allows
> the ':' character in window titles.

Correct on both counts. Ratmenu is just me - I haven't installed the
latest version, as the server went down before I could grab it, and
I've been dealing with dead hardware so haven't taken the time to
chase down the mail with the new location in it and udpate things.

As for more lines - I've always rated readability more important than
line count, whether the goal is to reduce line count in some kind of
macho coding contest(*) or to increase line count because your PHB counts
lines for productivity.

Changing the python version to check the command name and generate a
menu of windows if it was invoked as "ratwinmenu" and a menu of frames
if it was invoked as "ratframemenu" took four lines of code - once I
had added "frames" and "frameselect" to rp, of course. I'd much rather
have code I can do that to than code that's only 7 lines long, or
whatever.

        <mike

*) I actually know people who got into a contest to see who could
cause the most page faults with a single instruction on an IBM
370. That's just plain weird.

--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.