Re: [RP] Patch for frames et al...

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: Re: [RP] Patch for frames et al...
Date: Wed Nov 14 00:50:01 2001

Ryan Yeske <address@hidden> types:
> I knew we should have never added split screen :)

Yeah - you attract people who want to use it like an X window manager
and not a clone of screen :-).

I was about to explain how my vision of a framed window manager should
work, and how that differed from the behavior that ratpoison has -
which might help explain where this is coming from.

I think that each frame should act like an invocation of
ratpoison. Once a window is opened in a frame, it stays in that frame
until the user *explicitly* moves it. If I do "other" in one frame, I
get the other window for that frame. If I then go to another window
and do "other", I don't get the window I just hid in the previous
frame, I get the "other" window for *that* frame. Likewise, "next" and
"previous" walk through a list of windows associated with *that*
frame, not all the windows.

I have no idea how screen behaves in regard to this kind of
thing. I've been using primarily windowed environments since '86, and
never really had much use for screen. The above behavior is how I've
pictured paned window managers working since about '89, but paned
windows manager are few and far between. I've no intention of trying
to change the existing behavior of rp, except a part of adding new
functionality.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.